coming out of the dark
i've been a lurker of blogs for quite a long time. I've tried my very best to start one of my own and do something creative. but i'm always a procrastinator. I was recently reading some stuff I wrote from 2001 and realised that i've been trying to create a website of my own for the longest time. I have so many ideas but I never get around to doing anything. sigh.so I've started up again. trying to do something interesting with my life and opening my thoughts up to the world. I guess a blog is good for the following things - 1. keeping a record of what's happening in my life because I have the worst memory ever. 2. expressing the thoughts in my head, and i guess spending some time reflecting on life at the moment. 3. keeping friends posted about my life. 4. as some sort of community thing - i haven't really thought through this and theory of connections, networks and online personas. I think I might have to ask estee, who's thesis was on blogging. i think. sheesh, even now i can't remember for sure.
Just read this on tomorrow.sg (which by the way is quite an interesting project):
"I refuse to call these TCS people "stars" and "celebrities" even when I speak directly to their PR. They're just actors and artistes-- and a far, far cry from even remotely being referred to as a celebrity"
http://tomorrow.sg/archives/2005/08/26/among_other_things.html
interestingly, i've never thought of TCS people as actors. in fact, I've refused to call them actors because for the most part, i feel that THEY CAN'T ACT. ok, this is turning into a rant. I have no respect for singapore tv, unfortunately. I think we do have some good stuff though- usually on arts central but for the other stuff - singapore idol and tcs soaps (i refuse to call them 'dramas') - really quite pathetic.
is it because we don't have the talent? i doubt it. is it because of the tastes of the local audience? maybe maybe.
i think my better half is going to be surprised that I'm blogging. she's recently started to do it and i like checking up on it.
listening to The Observatory's Time of Rebirth right now. I like local music. I think that since Don't Cry by this local band (can't remember the name) i've had a big respect for local bands. I think it's partly got to do with my own dreams of being a rockstar when i was in secondary school.
I remember the only band that i've been in was called SOTAR (Sit On This And Rotate) which was a mess. there were six of us. me, another guitarist, one bassist, one keyboardist, one vocalist, one drummer.
i was quite bad at playing guitar and i liked angsty 'alternative rock' like nirvana, smashing pumpkins. the other guitarist and the drummer were very proficient, and they liked heavy metal. the bassist liked church music. the vocalist was actually a member of the school choir so not used to singing alone. and the keyboardist was more kitaro and classical music.
the band did not last long. jam sessions were often messing about, never really playing anything together and occassional heavy metal breaks by the guitarist and drummer, while the rest of us just watched helplessly.
i guess it was kinda fun to be in a band. anyway, haven't heard from the bassist, vocalist and other guitarist in over 10 years. just met up with the keyboardist at a primary school gathering and i think i'll get along with him a bit better now than in secondary school. the drummer is the best - LP - now with Ugly in the Morning. i have the deepest respect for him.
interesting. this is one of the longests posts that i've had. should keep this up. checking out now... anyone want to take bets on how long it'll take me to put up my next post? heh heh


1 Comments:
time of rebirth is a great album - this sad song is my favourite track off that one.
Post a Comment
<< Home