Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Overweight and need to get fit

My current weight = 84kg (approx)
My current height = 1.75m
My BMI = 27.428571

According to the Singapore Health Promotion Board's press release on 16 March 2005 - REVISION OF BODY MASS INDEX (BMI) CUT-OFFS IN SINGAPORE, I'm considered high risk for cardiovascular diseases and according to another article, I'm at the obese cut-off of 27 for BMI.

My target weight should be around 67kg.

Also did you know that Marathon Runners are insane? I was doing a calculation - I took the speed required to run 2.4km under 10mins and did the calculation for the 42++ km required for a full marathon and the people who win marathons are running at that speed!

Maths follows:

10 mins = 10×60 secs = 600 secs
2.4km in 600 secs means 1 km in 250 secs
42km x 250 secs = 10500 secs
10500 secs = 10500/60 mins = 175 mins = 2h 55 mins

In the most recent 2005 Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon, the winner, Amos Matui, came in at 2h 15mins 55 secs - which calculated backwards would be a 7min 46sec for 2.4km. INSANE!

1 Comments:

At 4:49 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ghurkas in the Singapore Police Force regularly complete the 2.4km run in under 6mins!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home