fortune tellers, life plans and local music part 2 of 3
after one month of procrastination, here it is! part 2 of 3 of the fortune tellers, life plans and local music. (see part 1)i'm actually going to use the events from the second part of the series to talk a bit more about what's been happening recently.
we last left off with Kelvin (me) having encountered a whole bunch of fortune tellers. why it spooked me out in particular that day was that i was evaluating what i wanted to do with my life. as part of that, myself and daphne were going to meet up at book cafe(1) to discuss our plans for our life. You know, like having some sort of plans/direction to counter the aimlessness in my life.
So after working with B. on excel charts, his o2 atom, foldershare(2), I headed (head?) on down to Book Cafe to meet Daphne. Over dinner (yummy steak) we talk and discuss what is important in our lives and what are some of the things that we are interested in and want to do. We create individual lists, detailing our interests and how we are going to spend time more productively working on these interests.
Here's mine, somewhat neatly divided into sections
Career
• Freelance work
• Deciding on the career path (this is important as i'm going into that after i complete this post)
• Job Hunt
Driving
• Complete Advanced Theory
• Complete Practical and pass
Photography
• Learn how to use all my camera's functions
• Fortnightly photo trips/expeditions with Daphne
• Carry a camera everywhere
Fitness
• Work out 3 times a week at least
• Advance to daily jogs in the near future
• Strive for IPPT Gold (and $400)
Reservist/ICT
• Follow up with cert. of service that I have not received
• Kit exchange Helmet
• Preparation of mobilisation kit
• Study for ICT course
Reading
• Complete "The Neverending Story" (yeah, don't laugh ok grrr)
• Try to read one book a fortnight
Computer
• Learn software that i own
• master software
• HTML, XHTML, XML, Dreamweaver
• Photoshop
• Build personal website
• Learn Flash
• Learn Reason (3)
• Learn Unix basics
• Learn PHP, MySQL
• Learn Javascript
Redecorate Room
• Design
• Plan
• Execute
Other Skills/Things
• Learn massage
• Pick up playing the guitar again
• Do some travelling
• Improve Mandarin
• Learn Cantonese and Teochew
Well all this good and well. I haven't done much in the past month on any of these. I've managed to secure a job in Mindef (yup, the national education one), but still waiting for an official offer - unofficially, I've got it.
What's a bit difficult at the moment is wondering whether or not I'm making the right decision. Reason is that I got off the phone with the person who interviewed me last friday for another job in a global interactive content company. She was trying to convince me to reconsider my decision (I decided not to go for the second interview yesterday).
Reasons she gave are:
• she thinks that it's a good fit
• she thinks that I'll have a lot of opportunities to further my career in the interactive/advertising industry
• the people who have worked with her have either gone on to management roles either in the company itself or other global advertising agencies.
I'm worried that I may have not thought it through carefully. One of my main reasons for not wanting to go for the second interview was that the person who interviewed me on friday was my future boss if i got the position. I felt after that long interview, that our personalities really did not click. In addition, the longer i was in the interview, the more i realised that i've lost the passion and drive for the advertising field.
My friend says that she feels that I had already lost the passion because I didn't actively/aggressively pursue another opportunity at her company where I interviewed earlier in the month.
Well, I'm just spending some time to think about it. However, I think that my mind is made up already. I'm probably going for the mindef job. And in fact, I'm quite inspired by it actually - but more on that in another post.
Notes
(1) The Book Cafe
20 Martin Road
#01-02
Seng Kee Building
Excellent place to hang out and to chill out. Food is pretty good if a bit on the pricey side but I love the steak, eggs and chips combo. mmmm.
(2) FolderShare
Foldershare is a brilliant piece of software that has recently been bought over by Microsoft. One of the great things is it's completely FREE. Basically, it allows you to sync your files on any two linked computers. So if you have an office desktop and a home PC, you can keep a synced folder of your work. Brilliant. Check out Foldershare.
(3) Reason.
A fantastic piece of music software. http://www.propellerheads.se/


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home