Friday, July 21, 2006

BayBeats 2006 - part 3

Finally! I got home at a decent hour and I'm rested and showered. So I shall continue with my BayBeats report.

First thing to report is that I'm thoroughly annoyed with the Straits Times coverage of BayBeats. In the official press release by the BayBeats organisers, it is stated that:

"Besides providing a platform to profile our local acts, BayBeats also aims to develop our local indie musicians."

Compare this to the writeup in the Straits Times, Life section, Tues 18 Jul 06, p. 10
------------------
HEADLINE: Beating last year's record
PHOTO: Ken Stringfellow
PHOTO CAPTION: Singer-guitarist Ken Stringfellow and his band, The Posies, rocked the crowd with their performance at the Baybeats festival.

A record 74,000 people thronged the Esplanade waterfront over the weekend for the three-day indie music festival Baybeats.

This was more than the 69,000 people who attended the annual event last year and a modest 9,000 in 2002 when it was first staged.

Organised by the Esplanade, the festival which kicked off last Friday evening saw 28 local and international bands take the stage.

Among them were headliners American alternative rockers The Posies, Norwegian pop outfit Beezewax and home-grown bands such as The Great Spy Experiment, Electrico and Concave Scream.

Indie music fan Charlotte Ching, 22, says: "Ken Stringfellow's solo set really did it for me."

Stringfellow is singer-guitarist of The Posies and performed an intimate half-hour solo set on Sunday evening.

"There were many non-fans in the crowd who became enamoured by his stage presence and charm by the middle of his set"

Sujin Thomas
------------------

I'm annoyed because the article was short and did not feature the local bands, but rather, chose to feature an American musician. I don't deny that he/they was/were probably good (I didn't catch them) but I think that the coverage did not do justice to the local bands that were really really really good. I'm not sure if it mirrors the lack of support that local radio stations for local music and their preference for American/non-local music. Sujin Thomas, I dedicate this song by Electrico to you.

We're Not Made In The USA - Electrico

Now listen here's the news,
We got a bitch who bought our record
and she liked it for a brand new sound
Here's the blue, She took it right back to the rack
in the store when she found
We were from the same old lame town
city island country where she was born
I would say, I wanna shove her to the speaker
so she can hear us say

We're not made in the USA,
But you got what you paid for anyway
And we'll rock and roll just the way we do
With the red and the white but without the blue

Now people feel the groove, Of a people from our
busy streets who got the fire buringin up inside
Here's the do, We gotta take the the time,
relax and listen to a rocking nation right!
We are from a crazy city yearning
for a bigger piece of a bigger pie
Together now, and we'll be singing "I'm so happy"
and still rock it like an Oddfellow... shout!

We're not made in the USA,
But you got what you paid for anyway
And we'll rock and roll just the way we do
With the red and the white but without the blue

We're rocking we're rolling,
we're singing in our coffins
We're keeping it going, we gotta keep it going
The people, they're saying that
we should not be playing
Just tell them to shove it cos it's ok!

Summer in the city where the air is still
We'll be hanging out with Astreal
Stomping and Screaming,
don't Vomit, we're Humping
Boredphucking and partying and away we go!

We're not made in the USA,
But you got what you paid for anyway
And we'll rock and roll just the way we do
With the red and the white but without the blue

Summer in the city where the air is still
We'll be hanging out with Astreal
My friends, and all of you my friends
You, you, you, you and you

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home