Friday, June 16, 2006

good samaritan or angel of death

Tonight, I'm trying to figure out if I was a good samaritan or angel of death.

After meeting Daphne and her friends for dinner, I left for home. I was at Cineleisure and was walking toward Orchard MRT to take the train back when I saw this ang moh couple laden with backpacks somewhere outside Takashimaya (ok, Ngee Ann City). They looked very lost and were looking at their map, then the street signs.

I felt the need to help them so I walked up to them and asked if they needed help. The two were from New Zealand and they had missed their flight to Bangkok today so they were looking for the YMCA. Unfortunately, their book's map only had the part of Orchard Road around the Dhoby Ghaut area. I showed them where they were ("You're around here" *pointing to a place off the map*) and offered to call YMCA to check if they had any rooms left. Unfortunately, YMCA was fully booked (and the guy emphasised to me that they were fully booked tonight, tomorrow night, Saturday night and Sunday night - I don't know why he bothered).

So that plan went down the drain. Then I remembered that there was this place called Prince of Wales in Little India where my friend Saiful's band plays once in a while. Called a friend who didn't have access to the phone number, but who suggested Hotel 81, however the locations were all rather far. Plus dunno if they have rooms. Finally found the number of Prince of Wales in the book and called them. Confirmed two dorm beds for them over the phone. I asked them if they'd be ok getting a taxi (they said should be fine) and said my goodbyes.

Why I feel that I might have been an angel of death instead of a good samaritan is because

a) It was 10.30pm at orchard road. How to get taxi?
b) I found out that Prince of Wales is a bit difficult to find.

I was worried that they couldn't get a taxi and when they finally did, they would not be able to find the place, and if they finally found the place, there were no spaces left.

I just feel that I might have abandoned them a little too early. I feel that maybe I should've offered to send them there safe and sound. I wondered if I should've offered them a place to stay at my place. I wondered if I gave them good advice or if a hotel along orchard road may have been within their budget.

I decided in the end not to call the Prince of Wales to check if they arrived safely. What if they decided not to go there? I'd worry the whole night long.

I hate the feeling that instead of helping a person, I was more of a hindrance than anything. I talked to my friend and Daphne and they reassured me that everything would be ok.

My friend even chided me for wanting to be responsible for the entire world. I guess that's my problem. I care too much about things and always feel responsible for everything and everyone, even if there's no way that I can prevent bad things from happening.

So I'll never be sure - good samaritan or angel of death.

4 Comments:

At 7:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're too hard on yourself - your actions put the vast majority of Singaporeans to shame, myself included.

 
At 3:20 am, Blogger Unknown said...

They're backpackers, right? So they must be used to zipping around the globe on a shoestring and improvising where necessary. Hence, it's ok if you don't baby them all the way to their new rooms and leave a mint on their pillows! You've already been more helpful than a lot of people would have been.

 
At 1:26 pm, Blogger kelvin said...

Thanks guys, I felt much better the next day but you make me feel much much better :)

 
At 10:50 pm, Blogger applebox said...

good samaritan. period. - chris :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home