padawan dj
This post is going to be part music snob, so be warned!Tonight I had my first lesson in basic DJ-ing. Not your Perfect 10, Class 95, 93.3 type of DJ. The type of DJ that spins records / mixes music in clubs. It's organised by SAFRA and held at the Mt. Faber SAFRA which is about 3 minutes walk from my workplace (if you don't count the time it takes me to get from my office to the gate, heh).
I've always been intrigued by the art of DJ-ing. I mean, what is it that they do in the pitch black darkness, one ear hooked onto their huge noise-cancelling headphones, pressing buttons and twirling nobs?
Why did I sign up for this course?
- It's something that has interested me for a while.
- I like dance music, in particular, breakbeat with a little bit of drum 'n' bass.
- I'm curious as to what DJs actually do and how difficult/easy it is to be a DJ.
- It's cool, something to boast about and the girls really dig it ;) muahaha
Anyway, back to seriousness, the course is organised by SAFRA and it's taught by this guy, Felix or DJ Felix from TranceRepublic. Quite a cool guy. There are seven of us taking the course. I actually thought that I'd be one of the oldest person joining the course but turns out that there's a guy who has FINISHED his total NS liability - nine high-key in camp trainings. Wowie. He looks pretty old too. Poor thing though, I think that he initially thought that this course would teach him some non-linear sound editing. When we introduced ourselves, we also had to mention why we decided to join the course and what type of music we'd like to DJ with/to/about... anyway. He said that he wants to join music together for karaoke. Hm... nonetheless, I talked to him and he's quite "cool" lah. He plays the drums and like listening to jazz, especially funk and fusion.
So in the course, there's:
Me - breakbeats, drum n bass
Geoffrey/Jeffrey the old guy - karaoke
John the airforce regular - trance
Kumar the ITE student - eurodance and hiphop
QiJian (?) the soon to be NTU undergrad - techno(?), r&b
Mr Works-in-an-optician's - trance
Mr latecomer, who i didn't get the name of - rock and roll?
hmm. it's kinda late, so I think that I'll continue this blog another time. gotta get up in 5 hours... ugh.
nite


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home