Sunday, June 25, 2006

illness, weird dreams, domain names

Well, I've sort of recovered (75%) from the blasted illness that I've had since last Tuesday. It started, strangely enough, midway during lunch on Tuesday afternoon. I was busily eating my lunch in the staff room in my office when I started sneezing quite uncontrollably and my eyes started tearing, the way they do when you start falling sick. Anyway, it went on quite badly after lunch and I was sneezing more and my nose started running as well.

I knocked off work and went over to Daphne's house but was totally unable to be any sort of good company to her because my whole face was acting up... my nose, eyes, ears and all I wanted to do was to close my eyes and sleep (sorry...). Went home, tried to get some rest and then went to work the next day. It was not a pretty sight, I was sneezing quite badly and my body was getting the chills. I left office a bit earlier that day, went to pick up tickets for this play that I'm watching, had a crappy dinner - chicken macaroni soup at tiong bahru plaza food court sucks, then went home.

That night, I started getting really ill and the next morning, I woke up with a high fever of 39.4 degrees. Not pleasant, so I called in sick and went to see the doctor who thankfully gave me 2 days MC to rest and recover. So that was on Thursday. Since Thursday I mainly been mooching around at home and drinking barley water and resting. I hate falling sick, and I tend to be really bad when it comes to fever and flu. It feels really really depressing and uncomfortable.

Tonight, I feel much better, although, I still think that I'm fighting off some of the bug. My throat is hurting a bit, but I think that's because I've not been drinking enough water, which I will do as soon as I finish this blog entry. I don't have much more to write about being sick, unless you'd be interested in the amount of snot I have expelled in the past four days, or the amount of tissue paper that I've gone through.

On weird dreams. I've just noticed that when I do dream and remember the dream, the dreams tend to be extremely weird and action-packed. I don't normally dream (or remember that I dream). I can't recall when it was that I started not dreaming but my thoughts are that it started when I was in the army and I was so tired out each day that I was too exhausted to dream. Technically, this is wrong, as everyone 'dreams' just that they don't remember that they dream due to various reasons. For the longest time, I didn't have a single dream - I only started dreaming again when I was in university, and in the later years at that.

As I still don't dream often, when I do dream, it's a rather unique experience. Funnily enough, my dreams tend to be very action-packed, as I mentioned earlier. I recently dreamt of a war in Singapore, but this could be because I was recently thinking about Tim Huxley's Defending the Lion City. In that dream, I wasn't involved in the fighting, which is strange, considering I am a reservist.

In the latest dream, which I think was either this morning or yesterday morning, I first dreamt that I was back in UNSW with my friends Anna, Ronnie and Estee. We were just hanging out initially, although, the university campus looked nothing like the real university campus. Ok, this is where it started getting weird. We were sitting at the bus stop, which was on a steep slope, when people started running past us down the slope and screaming in panic. I remember looking up and seeing this dinosaur-like creature on the top of the hill. It was like a triceratops. It wasn't huge, roughly the size of a rhinocerous. Suddenly, this fighter plane swoops down and fires missiles at it and destroys it. See? I told you my dreams were action-packed!

Now, flaming pieces of dinosaur meat are falling from the sky and I tell my friends that we should get out of there or hide somewhere, so we start running. I see a row of houses which are rather small one room houses, and start knocking on doors trying to get someone to let us in to hide, because, in my mind, I know that something is seriously wrong and that more monsters will still be coming to kill us. I knock on a couple of doors and no answer. Finally, one door is opened by a scruffy man wearing only his socks, boots, shorts and a brown trench coat. He's visibly nervous, but I convince him to let us in. I thought to... I mean, my dream self thought to my dream self that this guy could be some psycho, but at least he was human and not some monster.

Everyone gets in and we lock the door and the door grille. These houses are built to prevent robbery, so all the doors, windows and openings are covered with thick iron grilles. We wait. After a while, the noise outside has subsided. That's when the scary part starts in movies right? It's the same in my dream. I get a gut feeling and turn out the light and we all huddle together. By this time, my friends are all just my friends, and no longer specific friends at the start of the dream. Anyway, we hear some movement outside and it's actually these huge wolf-like creatures. Thankfully, the iron grilles deter them. For some reason, my dream self was thinking that the house is made of wooden planks, but it was rationalised as these houses were built to withstand alot, so there's like a metal frame around it or something.

I think that there was more to the dream, but that's all I can recall. I remember waking up and thinking, this is really weird. I once had this theory that my dreams are visions of what my alternate selves are doing in alternate realities. In that case, I feel really bad for them as I tend to be running alot from disasters or fighting wars or being part of a counter-terrorist team. High risk alternate selves.

I wonder how many of you are rolling on the floor cracking up now. :) I think I'll try to remember more of my dreams from now on and record them. It's pretty hilarious I think.

Your assignment is to try and remember your weirdest or most vivid dream and blog it! :) Then send me the link.

In other news, I have been trying to find a good domain name but most of the ones that I want have been taken. Any suggestions?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home