starting work tomorrow
After a good 3 month break, I'm starting work tomorrow! Yup, will be heading down to cmpb tomorrow morning to begin the new job at nexus.Taking a few moments now to think about how I'm feeling. I think it's the same feeling that I have each time that I embark on something new. I had this feeling when I entered JC, enlisted into the army and started university. I also had this feeling when I first entered into OCS. It's a quiet kind of anticipation, nervousness, and sense of expectancy.
Usually what happens is that I don't feel anything on the actual first day. I remember going through my first day in BMT in kind of a daze, a bit disoriented and not really knowing what I was doing. At the end of that day, when I was in my bunk in Nee Soon camp, I stayed awake a while, in a somewhat state of shock.
I usually "acclimatise" to the new environment quickly. I guess that comes from not being particularly fussy when it comes to the day to day things. I wonder if they will like me.
It's going to be pretty weird too, because I work one week at this new job and then I'll be going for my National Service In-Camp Training (ICT) starting on the 24th of April - for 5 weeks!!! Yeah, I can tell you what I'm going for, but then I'll have to kill you. Interestingly, there will be 5 course participants from different countries (other than Singapore I mean). One from Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, Indonesia and Brunei each.
Found out tonight that my uncle and aunt's house got burgled last week! It was featured in the newspapers on Saturday but their names weren't mentioned. I was reading the papers and the article mentioned that it was at The Countryside housing estate. I didn't expect it to be them. Furthermore, I was wondering whether my uncle and aunt had heard about it!
My other uncle (my mum's younger brother) mentioned something that I felt was really true. When your home gets burgled, you may lose possessions, money but all that can be replaced. What can't really be replaced is the sense of security.
When I was in Sydney, my apartment was broken into and I encountered the intruder. To make a long story short, now I am sort of a bionic man and I have titanium in my left eye. It was painful and all, but for months on end, I would be in my room in the apartment and I would hear strange noises at night. I always carried around a weapon of sorts like a stick or my flatmate's kendo bokken when I was alone at home. When my lease ended there, all of us decided to leave the place. Which was a little sad, considering that was one of the best apartments I lived in with a huge balcony to boot.
For everyone out there, remember to be safe, lock up your belongings and keep your home safe.


2 Comments:
I know how that feels - my room was broken into during my first semester in Perth too.
It happened very quickly, I went downstairs to make myself some Indo-Mie. Before the water had even boiled on the stove, someone started pounding on my door very ferociously, shouting my name. I opened my front door to greet my hysteric neighbours screaming that my room had been broken into.
Sprinting upstairs, I found my fly-screen pushed open, wallet/mp3 player/watch/mobile phone missing. Another neighbour had given chase in his car but to no avail as the burglar had scaled the backyard fence and disappeared into the dark backstreets.
The most shocking thing was that every single tenant was home at that time, and I had only left my room for maybe 1-2mins to go downstairs into the kitchen.
My 2nd counter was only 2-3 months later, in a neighbour's house within the same strata.
We were in the lounge having some beers when I heard a "thump", like someone landing from a jump, in the patio right outside the lounge.
Right-away my brain kicked into overdrive, I had immediately ascertained that it was an intruder, probably due to my experience prior. I asked my neighbours to check the room directly above the lounge, while I grabbed a beer bottle and sprinted into the patio.
Just in time to catch the intruder scaling the compound wall. I gave chase but again was unsuccessful as he disappeared into the dark. A Gucci handbag (with multiple valuables) was found to be missing.
Ever since then, I have become quite paranoid and have picked up quite a few habits, such as locking my car doors as soon as I enter the car, removing all valuables (coins, stereo deck, sunnies) from sight when parked, making sure all my windows are locked and blinds closed when I'm not in the room, auto-timers for various lights and stereo at home when I'm not around, etc.
Damned Abos.
[m]:chae!, i appreciate your frustrations but go easy on the racist overtones, hey?
you'll notice that kelvin didn't mention the ethnicity of our unwelcome visitor.
Post a Comment
<< Home