Lazy and Fat
It's been ages since I last updated this blog. I'd like to say that I've been busy, but that's just an excuse. I have been busier, but I think that the main thing is that I've been lazier.I've not been sleeping very well recently, not exactly sure why, but that's been affecting my mood and also making me feel extremely tired and lazy. Yesterday, I woke up at around 8am, ate breakfast and did some mindless TV watching. After that, I was feeling tired, so I went back to bed and slept till 2pm!!
Today was the same thing, at around 3pm, I went to read and then promptly fell asleep again and woke up at around 6pm for dinner.
This is not good. Not good at all. Plus the fact that I was watching a TV programme on Channel News Asia about obesity and the increasing problem in America. I can't remember what the episode was called, but it was from PBS - a show called Frontline. I'm really glad that I caught it though, because it's given me a sort of wake up call to look at my overall health and fitness.
To quote JT's story about her Tiger Airways flight - "I'm sorry, but you are quite obese". Ok. Here's the hard facts.
I'm 85-86kg now. Amazing right? I dunno why I'm so heavy. People say that I don't look it, but then again, they don't normally see me topless. I know some of you are going "ewwww..." now. Haha. I'm 1.75m in height, so to calculate BMI, it's your weight, divided by the square of your height.
Kelvin's BMI = 86 / (1.75 * 1.75) = 28.08....
If you look at the Health Promotion Board's article on obesity, that puts me in the High Risk segment for Heart Disease and Diabetes.
http://www.hpb.gov.sg/hpb/default.asp?pg_id=865&aid=266
Yikes.
Ok, no point panicking about it. What is the target for getting healthy? Well, if you do some algebra, you can find out your ideal weight based on the healthy BMI ratings. Let's not be too ambitious ok? We'll take the upper end of the "Low Risk" range. BMI of 22.
Let x be the ideal weight for Kelvin.
22 = x / (1.75 * 1.75)
x = 22 * (1.75 * 1.75)
x = 67.375
So my ideal weight is 67.375kg. Hmm. I wonder what that means for all my clothes. Hopefully, I can still wear them after I lose the weight.
Taking the worst case where I am 86kg, I need to lose 18.625kg. That's quite a bit. The important thing to remember is that it's not just what I eat, but more importantly, regular exercise. Do you think that it's possible to lose 3kg a month? That would mean that I can reach my ideal weight in about 6 months. I honestly don't think that I can manage that, given my current lifestyle. Let's try 2 kg a month. That means about 0.5kg a week. Not too bad I think. But it's going to mean really watching my diet and exercising more. In about 9 months, I should be down to my ideal weight. Just in time for my 28th Birthday! Woo hoo. And if my clothes no longer fit, then it'll be a good time to buy new ones! Ha!
The Pact
I terrible at keeping any resolutions of any sort. So I need your help. I'm making a pact with you - I will lose this weight with your help. Sounds kind of weird, making a pact with an annoymous audience. Hope that those of you who see me regularly in the non-virtual world, will help me out with this.
By my 28th Birthday, I will reach my ideal weight of 67.375kg!
Plans
I don't exercise enough. And I sleep too much. I'll start this week by going to exercise 3 times. Looking at my schedule, I reckon that I can go exercise almost everyday except for next Sunday. I think that I'll do exercise tomorrow.


3 Comments:
onya, mate! i'll back ya. let me know what kind of whip-cracking you need. think about all the exercise endorphins you'll be enjoying soon!
Let me give you a personal testimonial. The 1st 6 to 8 kgs are going to be easy. It's after that where you really start to get frustrated and desperate. If you want to do it fast (by your next birthday), you probably need to watch your diet too (which I personally find impossible to do). And yes, you would need to go shopping if you really shed those spare tyres. 1.75m ah....70 kg can already lah...
I've seen you in person before, you're not obese please. My brother is obese. Ask Shan how he looks like.
yeah i know that i'm not obese lah. but it would be nice to lose the tummy and get fit.
thanks for the comment and testimonial. I will keep you updated :)
Post a Comment
<< Home