Friday, January 12, 2007

Haunting images

Photography by Wu Xiao Kang (1979 - 2005)
[Suggestion: you may like to read below before going onto the link.]

I came across this whilst reading the Manic blog tonight. It's a bit spooky. I went through the photographs and was felt a mixture of sadness, haunting, beauty and eerieness. That's my feelings, you may feel differently and I hope that you have not been influenced by my feelings.

According to the website, the photographer is a person who suffered from schizophrenia. He set out to create a perfect roll of photographs (36 shots in one roll of film).

"... each roll of film must not only have one 'good' picture but all 36 images should be perfect. that is the plan."

This is probably silly statement to make, but I'll say it anyway for the benefit of those who only know of digital cameras - In film cameras, unlike digital cameras, you cannot preview your shots and erase that you don't like. So to take a perfect roll, each shot's composition, exposure, lighting, everything must be perfect. Once you make one mistake in one shot, you've ruined the perfect roll.

From what I understand, in order to get his perfect roll, he shot the same set of photos over and over for two years, each time getting closer to perfection. He finally managed to perfect his technique. The 36 photos you see in the link above are from his last roll of film he shot before he died.

People on the site have said that from frame 32 onwards is when he taped his camera to his hands and jumped to his death.

Even if this is all fake and the story is just some urban legend thing, the photographs are spooky.

1 Comments:

At 6:52 pm, Blogger 'stee said...

i don't buy the story, but those are some great images. thanks for the link!

ps: how's the fitness regime going?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home