Thursday, August 24, 2006

Progress Report: 27 years 5 days

Listening to: The Late Night Mix 2 (by Various Artists)
(because it is after all, late at night)

So, 27 years and 5 days on in this life and it's time to take stock. I hope that this isn't too introspective for a blog post. I should probably be writing this to myself instead of posting it on the Interweb. But I think that it is important that I record it down. After all, one of the main points of me keeping this blog is as a record of my life. I once tried to have a blog and I started each post with the words, "To Future Kelvin", so that in a way, it's sort of like my past self writing to my future present self. I also have a terrible terrible memory, as most of my ex-girlfriends and current girlfriend will testify ("No!! we did not first kiss at East Coast Park!!"). I just know that when it comes to the time for me to get married and I'm standing outside the door of my bride-to-be's home, trying to get in by answering questions about my bride-to-be, I'm going to not know what her favourite flowers are, where we first kissed, where our first date was. (Future Kelvin, it's 1. dark orange gerberas, 2. outside her gate the night we got together 3. I've forgotten already, well actually, we never really had a first date... I hope)

But I digress (a lot).

Back to 27 years and 5 days. So what have I achieved in this time?

Major accomplishments in life:
1. Becoming an Officer in the SAF. I think that's an achievement, you might disagree.
2. Surviving the Jungle Confidence Course - it is an amazing achievement
3. First class honours in my university degree

Things that I really need to do:
1. Start saving
2. Finish my driving lessons and pass my driving test
3. Get fit

Looking back at my previous post 5 months ago, I'm quite disappointed in my lack of progress. To recap, here's what I wrote, along with the progress report.

Career

• Freelance work
• Deciding on the career path (this is important as i'm going into that after i complete this post)
• Job Hunt

I have made some progress in terms of Career in that I now have a stable, enjoyable and challenging job. I'm really happy in my current job and my colleagues are just great (I have to write that cos some of them are reading this - haha - kidding guys, I love you all!)

Driving

• Complete Advanced Theory
• Complete Practical and pass

Absolutely no progress on this - my bad.

Photography

• Learn how to use all my camera's functions
• Fortnightly photo trips/expeditions with Daphne
• Carry a camera everywhere

Learnt most of the functions, but have forgotten them. I don't carry a camera everywhere, mainly because there are some security issues at my workplace. I have not been on photo expedition with Daphne yet. I'm thinking of getting a digital SLR soon, but finances are not looking that good.

Fitness

• Work out 3 times a week at least
• Advance to daily jogs in the near future
• Strive for IPPT Gold (and $400)

I just started badminton with my colleagues, but really need to step up the pace on the exercising thing. Especially now that my IPPT window is open.

Reservist/ICT

• Follow up with cert. of service that I have not received
• Kit exchange Helmet
• Preparation of mobilisation kit
• Study for ICT course

Made the most progress in this area. My reservist for this work year is over and I came in 3rd (not bad for an NSman huh?). I got my certificate of service and have prepared my mobilisation kit. I now only need to do Kit exchange of my helmet.

Reading

• Complete "The Neverending Story" (yeah, don't laugh ok grrr)
• Try to read one book a fortnight

I still have not read "The Neverending Story" and I don't read one book a fortnight. Grrr.

Computer

• Learn software that i own
• master software
• HTML, XHTML, XML, Dreamweaver
• Photoshop
• Build personal website
• Learn Flash
• Learn Reason (3)
• Learn Unix basics
• Learn PHP, MySQL
• Learn Javascript

I'm slowly learning all of these, but I now have a personal webspace and I'm working on its design and content now.

Redecorate Room

• Design
• Plan
• Execute

No progress.

Other Skills/Things

• Learn massage
• Pick up playing the guitar again
• Do some travelling
• Improve Mandarin
• Learn Cantonese and Teochew

No progress.

I'm a bit depressed right now. I think I'll spend tonight thinking about it and address everything this weekend. Goodnight all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home